Iowa Youth Rugby Association
Intern Job Description: The Iowa Youth Rugby Association (IAYRA) is the sanctioning body for all youth rugby in the State of Iowa. The IAYRA became the sanctioning body for youth rugby in October 2010 when it was awarded Emerging State Based Rugby Organization status by USA Rugby. The IAYRA started as the first rugby sevens league in the nation as an effort to accelerate the growth of rugby in Iowa over a wide range of leagues and teams towards future varsity recognition. The IAYRA is committed to supporting boys and girls rugby, from non-contact recreational leagues to full contact all-state teams. To do this, the IAYRA is composed of a board of directors that is focused on economic sustainability and a coaches association that is focused on league quality.
Position: Competitions and Development Intern
Description: The IAYRA seeks a dynamic, self - starter to assist development and competition efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of sports management while working for a well - known community based nonprofit organization.
- Assist in planning community and competition events.
- Draft, distribute, and pitch news releases, media alerts, and other stories.
- Designing flyers, e-vites, and other marketing material for major events hosted by the IAYRA.
- Update the IAYRA website and database when needed.
- Help with development of PSAs and content for social media and web site.
- Reach out to the community organizations, general public, and donors with the message about the IAYRA’s mission.
- Collaborating with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications.
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., Sports Management, Marketing/Communications, or Public Relations, Hospitality, Nonprofit Management, or other relevant major).
- Previous internship or related experience in sports management or communications is a plus.
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of web design, social media, email). Knowledge of video streaming a plus.
- An effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts.
- Self - motivated, good organizational skills, detail - oriented, ability to prioritize, multi – task, and meet deadlines.
- Interest in nonprofit development/fundraising.
- Rugby background a plus.
- Experience writing marketing proposals for sports clinics and camps.
- Utilizing demographic based social media metrics towards marketing strategies, website design, and funding.
- Execution of market plans and competitions strategies.
- Effectively organizing community outreach programs.
The above job description and qualifications are not meant to be all - inclusive.
Hours: 8 – 12 hours/week, on-site for tournaments once a week.
Compensation: This is an Unpaid/Volunteer internship.
To apply please a send cover letter and resume to: Dennis@iahsra.org